Monday 25 November 2013

Change of Scenery


I have been using the same sticks for as long as I can remember. Vater Manhattan 7a. I liked the thinner shaft, maybe because my hands are relatively small.

Recently I have been getting together with another drummer who toured with a few performers back in the 70's, and although he gave up the throne and sticks for about 20 years, he still plays with smooth chops and a great feel. During our get-togethers I like to try to learn what I can from him, things like stick grip, patterns that I can work on and albums I should listen to. I take my own sticks, which have been the Vaters, but one day we swapped sticks. He immediately stated that my Vater's were heavy and he didn't like the balance. I found that his maple sticks were in fact lighter and responded differently than mine. I actually liked how they handled.
 BINGO! A revelation! The sticks I have been using for years weren't the best fit for me. With that poke-in-the-eye, I decided to hit a music store and buy a few different models to test drive.

Above are the four I picked out and at the next practice I tried and evaluated them all.


I started with the Zildjian Heavy 6A. They are laminated birch and have a short taper making them fairly heavy for their size. I found that my wrist and finger muscles tired quickly due to the weight, as I am not used to that, but I actually found that the follow through when hitting crash cymbals easier. It may have taken a little more effort to start the motion, but inertia carried the stick through the cymbal. That feeling of extra power caught my attention.

Next, the sexy palm sisters cupped the pair of Vic Firth American Classic eSticks. Magic! Although these sticks were designed for Electronic drumkits, I found the weight and response to be just right for me. They have a longer taper with a small barrel tip and are made of hickory. Rolls and paradiddles seemed to require less effort, rimshots had nice depth without the cochlea irritation I suffer from heavier sticks and there was still enough weight to make a cymbal crash fill the room.

Once my infatuation with the Vic Firth pair waned a bit, I picked up the pair of ProMark's 'The Natural' 5A sticks. I liked the rough, raw wood feel because they didn't have the slick touch of the varnished pairs, but they are a little shorter and did not have all of the strong aspects of the previous two pairs of sticks. Still, I enjoyed having them in my hands for a few songs, but I am just not sure why. They were a little lighter than the Zildjian but still heavier than the Vic Firth in the hand but the balance leaned toward the teardrop shaped tip. The ride cymbal is where they felt and sounded most pleasing. A firm but controlled touch on the bell provided a distinct sound on my Sabian Medium Heavy 20" ride.

Last up were the Regal Tip 5A drumsticks. These are thicker but not any heavier than the ProMark pair. For me, the diameter was a little too big and bulky, though the balance was nicely placed and rimshots sounded thick and deep. I felt a little awkward and fumbly playing the ride or hi-hats with a quick swing or shuffle pattern and therefore put them back in the stick holder.

Going back to the Vic Firth pair confirmed my earlier evaluation which is why I will be switching my allegiance to the American Classics. Now I'm off to the store to pickup a few more pairs because I'll be wearing these out regularly.

As I write this, the band sits at #40 on the Reverbnation Rock chart for All of Canada and I am proud albeit bewildered that we have so many great fans who enjoy our music. If you haven't already, go to http://reverbnation.com/shootthemoonband and play a tune. I think you'll like us.

No comments:

Post a Comment